Here is how:
- Open the Gmail app on your phone.
- Tap the three-line menu icon in the app’s upper-left corner, then scroll all the way down the main menu and tap “Settings.”
- Tap the name of your Gmail account, then tap “Notifications” and make sure the option is set to “All.”
- Tap “Inbox notifications” and make sure the box next to “Label notifications” is unchecked.
- Next, tap “Manage labels” and find your “VIP” label in the list. Tap it, make sure its “Sync messages” option is set to “Last 30 days,” and make sure both “Label notifications” and “Notify for every message” are checked.
- Look through the rest of the labels in the list—any labels for which you don’t want to receive notifications—and make sure those same boxes are unchecked for all of them.